Friday, April 20, 2012

I need a hobby.

I really do.  Now that I have a three day work week, I need to fill my free time with something constructive.  But I have creativity ADD.

Right away I thought of refurnishing and re-purposing furniture.  I was looking at all sorts of inspiration on the internets and started following blogs like Better After.  Ideas just kept pouring in!  I got ideas for things around the house and other second hand items floating around.  I completed two projects thus far, which I will share, eventually.  But when I started it was so cold outside.  I don't have a garage and I got yelled at for spray painting in the basement.  By chance, a warm winter day happened and that is the only reason why I've completed those two projects.  My sister and I got real excited about redoing furniture and started with my Dad's dining room chairs.  This was a windy day and not good for spray painting.  Who knows what in nature is now coated with a light primer.  Now that it is nice out, have I started any other projects?  No.

All of those "upcycling" web searches led me to sewing.  I'd love to save money and do all sorts of refashioning of my tired old clothes as well as thrift store finds.  I sent my sister's sewing machine to get a tune up, and received a hand-me down sewing machine as well.  While waiting for the machine at the shop, I started following all of these sewing and refashioning blogs and became super inspired.  I started pinning all sorts of junk on pinterest that were tutorials or inspiration or who knows what.  I started scoping out Savers and I bought fabric.  I've searched for local sewing classes but never followed through.  I really just need to sign up.  When I'm out and about and I see something I like, all I can think of is how much money I'd save if I just refashioned something to look like that. 

Now I'm thinking of gardening.  The more I work on a certain area in the yard, the more I realize other areas need SERIOUS attention.  I'd like a new lawn mower and I'd like my yard to stop acting like the center of the neighborhood for all things to blow into.  Really, Mr. Take-out Box?  You are not compost-able. 

So here I am with my lack of commitment.  I'm really trying not to feel guilty or feel like I waste my time or money.  I just need to go outside.

What are you doing with your spare time these days?

3 comments:

  1. drinking coffee with my gf! even if only a short time, you know, until there is a chocomilk waterfall....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate milk explosions!!! When I saw "yelp" commented on the bloggy, I was wondering why the website yelp. com was commenting on my site.

      Hope the park was fun!

      Delete
  2. I love to seek improvement. My hobby is self improvement. I joined the toastmasters and then in my spare time I'll read improvement books or listen to them on tv. Also, I volunteer too.

    ReplyDelete