Thursday, January 13, 2011

Flapjacks.


Just kidding. Pancakes.

On a snow day you need something hot! Something to help you hibernate. So I made pancakes. I haven't made them in a while. I haven't made them all year. Ha. Enough of the stupid jokes. I made blueberry cinnamon pancakes!

INGREDIENTSInspired by every pancake recipe out there, no specific recipe followed this time.
  • 2 cups of flour (I used spelt for extra fiber and protein)
  • 2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 t of baking powder
  • 1 t (heaping) of cinnamon
  • Frozen blueberries (add as much as you want)
Just mix it all together! Pour it onto your preheated skillet. I used a seasoned cast iron skillet. This recipe made 10 pancakes with the batter portioned out in ¼ cups.

Tip: add your blueberries (or chocolate chips – we all have those days) to the pancake as soon as you pour it on the griddle/skillet. I find it makes less of a mess and will flip easier than a fruit or chocolate chip melting directly on the cooking surface.

Next time I would add more cinnamon and maybe even some more spices, like nutmeg or cloves. Sometimes I add maple syrup right to the batter also for some extra sweetness.



I topped the 'cakes with warmed blueberries and their juice, cinnamon, earth balance and maple syrup.


I heart melty butter.  The blueberry juice made me tie-dye pancakes.

Chrissy's stomach just made a wicked loud noise. Embarassing.  I'll pretend it said thank you.

 

 
What do you make on cold days for comfort food?

3 comments:

  1. Those pics just made me drool. I am a HUGE fan of putting cinnamon, nutmeg, and just a pinch of cloves in my pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cigs on a pancake? eww.

    hehehe

    we had zucchini pancakes for suppah last night. maybe i will blog up a recipe for its and you can enjoy as well.

    pigeon, out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! all those recipes sound inspired. I normally don't care for pancakes-- maybe I'm not seeing them for the possibilities they are!

    ReplyDelete