Monday, January 3, 2011

Saucy Berries!


I needed dinner. I have not been the most proactive cook lately. Vegetables have wilted. Canned goods have become dusty. I don't even want to look at the lemon I bought to juice. Peanut butter will never go out of style. Pasta Bene is on speed dial. Anyway, last week I saw a blogger's recipe that I had to try! Angela posted a recipe for a "back on track wheat berry and bean salad" to help with the post holiday feeling of what the frick did I just eat!? and I'm still hungry.
Speaking of "what the frick?!" What the frick is a wheat berry? I did what any educated person does. I googled which then led me to Wikipedia. This did not give me much more information other than a wheat berry is the entire wheat kernel. Yay for unprocessed! But really… what is a wheat berry? I did further research and came across this food network blog post. I love that this little berry is packed with nutrients especially protein, fiber, and iron. I find this nutrient combo helps give me an extra energy boost.
Angela's recipe is for a cold salad, but with our recent blizzard and my dysfunctional relationship with winter, I had to morph this into something warm. Something warm and saucy. The results were amazing.
Blog-WheatBerrySalad 037

Warm and Saucy Berries and Beans
Adapted from: Oh She Glows

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of dry wheat berries; soaked, cooked, & drained
  • 1, 15 oz. can of navy beans; I used Eden Organic navy beans but any white bean would go great in this recipe
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 small-medium sized red bell peppers, diced
  • As many cloves of garlic your heart desires minced real fine; I used 3 cloves
  • 1, 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 cucumbers
  • ½ t of dried thyme
  • ½ t of dried oregano
  • ½ t of dried basil
  • 1 T of olive oil
  • 2 T of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 pinches of sugar
  • Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Begin preparing the night before. Soak wheat berries in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse, and cover with water in a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on a low-medium heat for 1 hour. Drain.
While berries are simmering, prepare diced veggies. When berries have about 30 minutes left, sauté peppers, onions, and garlic in a pan with olive oil on a low heat until onions are translucent but there is still liquid in pan. Add tomatoes, herbs, balsamic vinegar, sugar, S&P, now let simmer for about 10 minutes before adding beans. Make sure all the liquid does not cook off in order to make it saucy!
If you sauté pan is big enough, add in the wheat berries. Mine is not, so I combined the sauce with the wheat berries in a bowl on the side.
For the finishing touch I added the chopped cucumbers. I found it gave the dish a nice crunchy and cool contrast. I'm sure you could cook the cukes or even substitute it with some zucchini!
Blog-WheatBerrySalad 004
They will be transformed…
Blog-WheatBerrySalad 007
I cheated and used the food processor for my chopping. I love how it minces garlic! How do you like your garlic?
Blog-WheatBerrySalad 021
This aroma gets my sister hanging out with me fast. She only likes me when I cook for her.
Blog-WheatBerrySalad 029
It is all coming together.
Blog-WheatBerrySalad 036
Blog-WheatBerrySalad 032
Check out the new dish towel from the “in-laws.” I know it clashes with the meal and plate, but its fun!




Thoughts on pans? I heart cast iron. I’m looking forward to creating a registry one day full of beautiful pots and pans.
Anyone else in a cooking rut? I hope this gets me out of it... speaking of getting out of ruts, I should post my New Year Intentions.

6 comments:

  1. Are you a professional photographer? Because those pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the photography. When I grow up I'll get a big girl DSLR camera. I'm sheepish with my point and shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Em is back and blogging. Loved that it was a recipe blog too. Looks delish =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome sauce! where do I find and purchase wheatberries???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got mine in the bulk bins at whole foods. I can scoop you up some next time I'm in the hood.

    ReplyDelete