Friday, January 14, 2011

CREAMY!




What a wonderful day of binge eating. Since I am sick of cafeteria food, a snow day at home meant cooking. Well, I only made one meal but it should carry me through the rest of the work week.

As I mentioned, cheese and I broke up a year ago. There are plenty of replacements but not always the most convenient. Some items aren't easy to find either, as there is not a nearby Whole Foods or TJ's. I loved pasta dishes in creamy white sauces with, you probably guessed it, cheese.

MAC & CASHEW CHEESE
 Adapted from Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 ¼ cup of raw cashews
  • ½ cup of nutritional yeast
  • 2 t of onion powder
  • 2 t of kosher salt
  • A few grinds of fresh pepper (use with your own taste buds in mind)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 t of garlic powder
  • 3 ½ cups of almond milk
  • 3 T of cornstarch
  • ½ cup of Earth Balance
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • ¼ cup of Daiya cheddar shreds
  • Panko or other bread crumbs
  • 1 lb of whole wheat pasta
DIRECTIONS
While your pasta cooks according to its directions, finely process the cashews in a food processor. Don't let it become cashew "butter." Add in nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic (cloves and powder), salt, and pepper. Process a bit more. Again, you want it processed fine. Kinda like a flour.

In a saucepan, simmer the almond milk, cornstarch, and earth balance. Reduce to a low-medium heat and cover for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Combine the liquid and the dry ingredients in the food processor by slowly adding the liquid. Then add your lemon juice. The result will be creamy goodness.

If you are attempting to make this dish slightly more nutritious…

Add some veggies! Broccoli and cauliflower are always delicious au gratin.

Combine everything in your baking pan. I recommend a big baking pan as I initially spilled some of this creamy goodness while trying to stir everything around. By everything I mean cooked pasta, the completed sauce, and veggies. Then sprinkle and stir in the daiya cheese. It is warm enough to melt the cheese. You can eat now, but I love crispy bread crumbs. Plus I didn't cook my veggies yet. I topped with panko and cooked it in a 400 degree oven (don't forget to preheat!) for 15 minutes.



Yum.


Chrissy couldn't wait.


Yes I used paper plates. Do you know how many dishes I've done already?! Don't judge me.  And don't judge my photog shadows. 

Notes: Next time I'd use more garlic and daiya cheese. I might use less nutritional yeast. This was delicious, creamy, and satisfying. I used rottini for my pasta and my dad was upset with me. Macaroni and cheese should only be used with elbows! My cookbook suggested placing the liquid in a mold or bowl, refrigerating, then serving as a hard cheese!

1 comment:

  1. I like mac & cheese (or 'fake' cheese for that matter) with all kinds of pastas. It makes it a "big kid" mac & cheese. And I'm just putting this out there, but if you don't want plate shadows, you should hire Jason Neimann Photography to do your photo shoots for you.

    ReplyDelete